Hello there, fellow dessert lovers! With summer in full swing, it’s time to indulge in the season’s juicy and succulent fruits. And what better way to do that than with a luscious blueberry pie? Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to end a summer barbecue or simply want to enjoy a slice of pie with a cup of tea, this ultimate blueberry pie recipe is exactly what you need.
Nothing beats the classic combination of crispy and buttery pie crust with a sweet, tangy blueberry filling. Plus, it’s super easy to make, even if you’re not an experienced baker. Just follow our step-by-step instructions, and you’ll have a homemade blueberry pie ready in no time. So, put on your apron and let’s get baking!
Blueberry Pie Recipe
If you’re craving a classic American dessert, you can never go wrong with a freshly baked blueberry pie. Below are the ingredients needed to make a delicious pie from scratch, including any optional toppings for serving.
- 1 pre-made pie crust (or homemade if preferred)
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp coarse sugar (optional)
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional for serving)
Now that you have all of your ingredients ready, it’s time to start making the pie.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Unroll the pre-made pie crust and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Pinch the edges of the crust with your fingers and trim any excess crust hanging over the edge.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and almond extract. Stir until the blueberries are coated evenly.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into the pie crust and dot the top with small pieces of butter.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Brush the top of the crust with an egg wash made from the lightly beaten egg and sprinkle the coarse sugar on top (optional).
- Let the pie cool for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to enhance the flavor.
Tips and Tricks
To perfect your blueberry pie, consider the following tips and tricks:
- If using frozen blueberries, thaw them completely and drain any excess liquid before mixing with the other ingredients.
- To avoid a soggy crust, pre-bake the crust for 10 to 15 minutes before adding the blueberry filling.
- If you want to add a decorative touch to the top of the pie, use extra pie crust to make lattice strips or cut out shapes to lay on top of the filling before baking.
- For an extra burst of flavor, mix a tablespoon of lemon juice into the blueberry mixture before pouring into the pie crust.
With these easy-to-follow instructions and helpful tips, you’ll be able to enjoy a mouth-watering blueberry pie that’s perfect for any occasion.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries are a popular summer fruit that are not only delicious but also packed with numerous health benefits. This small, blue fruit has become a staple ingredient in many recipes, including pies, smoothies, salads, and more.
Blueberries are rich in essential vitamins and minerals that are vital for maintaining good health. Just one cup of blueberries contains 24% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, as well as vitamin K, vitamin B6, and vitamin E. Additionally, they are a good source of fiber, potassium, and folate.
Blueberries are also packed with antioxidants, which protect the body against harmful free radicals that can cause cell damage and contribute to the development of chronic diseases, such as cancer and heart disease.
In addition to their high vitamin and mineral content, blueberries are also known for their disease-preventing properties. Studies have shown that consuming blueberries regularly can lower the risk of heart disease and stroke by reducing inflammation and improving cholesterol levels.
Blueberries may also help prevent certain types of cancer, including breast, colon, and prostate cancer. The antioxidants in blueberries have been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells and reduce DNA damage caused by carcinogens.
Furthermore, blueberries are beneficial for brain health and cognitive function. They can protect the brain from oxidative stress, which can lead to age-related cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease.
How to Incorporate More Blueberries Into Your Diet
Blueberries are an incredibly versatile fruit that can be easily incorporated into your daily diet. Here are some creative ways to enjoy more blueberries:
1. Toss them into your morning oatmeal or yogurt for a quick and healthy breakfast.
2. Add them to smoothies for a refreshing and nutritious drink.
3. Use them as a topping for pancakes, waffles, or French toast.
4. Add them to salads for a burst of sweetness and flavor.
5. Bake them into muffins, pies, and cakes for a tasty and healthy dessert.
6. Freeze them for a delicious and refreshing snack on a hot summer day.
In conclusion, blueberries are a tasty and nutritious fruit that provide numerous health benefits. Whether you eat them fresh, frozen, or cooked, incorporating blueberries into your diet is an easy and delicious way to boost your overall health and well-being.
Thank You for Reading!
We hope you enjoyed our ultimate blueberry pie recipe and can’t wait for you to try making it on your own. Don’t forget to share your photos and tag us on social media. We love seeing your creations and hearing your feedback.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. And stay tuned for more delicious recipes and cooking tips from our team!
Thank you for being a part of our community and we can’t wait to have you back soon.
1. Can I use frozen blueberries instead of fresh ones?
Yes, you can use frozen blueberries for this recipe. Simply thaw them out before using them in the filling.
2. Can I make the crust ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the crust ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer until ready to use.
3. Can I add other fruits to the filling?
Yes, you can add other fruits like raspberries or blackberries to the filling for a different twist.
4. What if I don’t have cornstarch?
You can use flour instead of cornstarch as a thickener in the filling.
5. Can I use a store-bought crust?
Yes, you can use a pre-made crust if you prefer.
6. How long does the pie need to cool before serving?
The pie needs to cool to room temperature before serving, which can take around 2-3 hours.
7. Can I freeze leftover pie?
Yes, you can freeze leftover pie for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil.
8. How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 8-10 servings.
9. Can I use a different type of sugar?
Yes, you can use brown sugar or cane sugar instead of granulated sugar.
10. Can I make this pie vegan?
Yes, you can make this pie vegan by using vegan butter and a plant-based milk substitute.