Hello there, fellow foodies! Are you ready to indulge in a delectable meaty dish? Look no further as this mouth-watering beef short ribs recipe is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings. Beef ribs are known for their succulent and flavorful meat, and this recipe takes it up a notch by slow-cooking it to perfection.
Whether you’re planning a cozy dinner for two or a weekend family gathering, this beef short ribs recipe is a crowd-pleaser. The tender meat falls off the bone, and the heavenly aroma of the seasonings will have your taste buds tingling. So, get your apron on and let’s get cooking!
Delicious Beef Short Ribs Recipe
Introduction: What Are Beef Short Ribs?
If you’re a meat lover, you’ve probably tried different cuts of beef, but have you tried beef short ribs? These succulent and flavorful cuts come from the lower portion of the cow’s ribs, which are larger and meatier than other types of beef ribs.
There are different types of beef short ribs, including English style, flanken style, and boneless short ribs. The English style has a meaty bone attached to it, while the flanken style is cut across the bone, creating a long strip of meat. The boneless short ribs, as the name suggests, have no bones and are usually sold in chunks or strips.
One of the benefits of beef short ribs is that they can be cooked in many ways, such as braising, grilling, roasting, or smoking. This versatility makes them ideal for different cuisines and occasions.
Ingredients and Preparation
To prepare delicious beef short ribs, you will need the following ingredients:
– 4 pounds of beef short ribs
– Salt and black pepper
– Garlic powder
– Olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 celery ribs, chopped
– 2 carrots, chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 cup red wine
– 2 bay leaves
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Season the beef short ribs with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
3. In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat the olive oil on high heat. Brown the short ribs on all sides. Remove the browned meat and set it aside.
4. In the same pot, sauté the onion, celery, and carrots until they are soft and golden. Add the minced garlic and tomato paste and cook for another minute.
5. Add the beef broth, red wine, and bay leaves and stir well.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, then return the short ribs to the pot. Cover the pot with a lid and place it in the oven.
7. Cook for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falls off the bone.
You can also marinate the beef short ribs before cooking them to enhance the flavor. Combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup red wine, 3 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Place the short ribs in a large resealable bag, pour the marinade over them, and refrigerate for at least an hour before cooking.
Flavor Pairings and Tips
When it comes to flavor pairings, beef short ribs go well with rich and bold flavors. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
– Red wine: Bold red wines such as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Syrah work well with beef short ribs.
– Spices: A mix of chili powder, cumin, paprika, and coriander can add a smoky and spicy kick to your dish.
– Mustard: A tablespoon of Dijon mustard can be added to the meat before cooking to give it a tangy flavor.
– BBQ sauce: Brush your short ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking for a sticky and sweet glaze.
A tip for cooking your beef short ribs is to allow enough time for them to cook low and slow. This will ensure that they become fork-tender and juicy. You can also use a slow cooker or pressure cooker for convenience.
In summary, beef short ribs are a delicious and versatile cut of meat that can be cooked in many ways. Whether you braise them with red wine and vegetables or grill them with a spicy rub, they are guaranteed to impress your guests and satisfy your cravings.
Slow Cooked Beef Short Ribs Recipe
Introduction: The Beauty of Slow Cooking
As the name suggests, slow cooking is a method of cooking food at a low temperature for an extended period. Slow cooking has become increasingly popular over the years, mainly because it retains more nutrients compared to traditional cooking methods. Slow cooking also brings out the flavor of food ingredients, making them more tender and tasty.
When it comes to beef short ribs, slow cooking is the perfect method to bring out the best flavor and texture. Slow cooking beef short ribs can take up to 8 hours, but the result is succulent meat that falls off the bone. Moreover, slow-cooked beef short ribs are versatile and can be served in many ways, from pasta dishes to tacos.
Ingredients and Slow Cooking Method
To make slow-cooked beef short ribs, you will need the following ingredients:
– 4 lbs beef short ribs
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
– 4 celery stalks, chopped
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 cup red wine
– 2 sprigs rosemary
– 2 sprigs thyme
Here are the step-by-step instructions for cooking your beef short ribs until they’re perfectly tender and juicy:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Season the beef short ribs with salt and black pepper.
3. Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
4. Add the beef short ribs and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the beef from the pot.
5. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery, and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly softened.
6. Add the beef broth, red wine, rosemary, and thyme to the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil.
7. Return the beef short ribs to the pot, making sure they are fully submerged in the liquid.
8. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
9. Bake the beef short ribs for 6-8 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.
10. Remove the beef short ribs from the pot and transfer them to a plate.
11. Strain the liquid from the pot and discard the solids.
12. Return the liquid to the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
13. Serve the beef short ribs with the sauce.
Serving and Variations
Slow-cooked beef short ribs can be served in many ways. You can serve them with mashed potatoes, polenta, or roasted vegetables. You can also use the beef short ribs as filling for sandwiches, tacos, or wraps.
To add some variety to your beef short ribs, you can experiment with different seasonings. For a smoky flavor, add some paprika or chipotle powder. For a sweeter taste, add some brown sugar or honey to the sauce. You can also add some soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for a savory umami taste.
Slow-cooked beef short ribs are a treat for the taste buds. The savory, juicy meat falls off the bone and is perfect for a winter comfort meal. Cooking beef short ribs may take a long time, but the result is worth the wait. By following this recipe, you can have juicy, fall-off-the-bone beef short ribs that will be the star of any meal.
Fast and Easy Beef Short Ribs Recipe
Introduction: Quick Fixes for Busy Days
If you’re a fan of beef short ribs but always put off cooking them because it seems like too much work after a long day, we have the perfect solution for you. This fast and easy beef short ribs recipe is the perfect meal for those busy weekdays when you don’t have time to spend hours cooking dinner. The recipe is quick, hassle-free, and equally delicious, offering a savory, melt-in-your-mouth experience that will delight your taste buds.
Ingredients and Quick Cooking Method
The ingredients for this fast beef short ribs recipe are simple and easy to find at any grocery store – you’ll need:
– 2 lbs. beef short ribs
– 2 tbsp. olive oil
– 1 onion, sliced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 cup of beef broth
– 1/2 cup of red wine (optional)
– Salt and pepper
To cook the recipe, start by heating the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Then, add the beef short ribs to the skillet, searing all sides until they are browned.
Next, pour in the beef broth and red wine (if using), and season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet with a lid, and let it simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until the beef is tender and the liquid has thickened to a rich sauce. That’s it – your beef short ribs are ready to be served!
Serving and Side Dishes
Once your tasty beef short ribs are ready, there are numerous ways to serve them. For a classic and straightforward method, place the short ribs on a serving platter and pour the sauce over them. You can also remove the bones and shred the meat, using it as a filling for sandwiches or tacos. Another excellent way to serve the beef short ribs is to pair them with roasted vegetables like carrots, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts, or mashed potatoes.
As for side dishes, there are many quick and easy options to choose from, such as roasted sweet potatoes, a simple green salad with a tangy vinaigrette, or garlic bread. Some sauteed mushrooms or a baked potato sprinkled with cheese are also good options to accompany the dish.
In conclusion, this fast and easy beef short ribs recipe is an excellent way to indulge in succulent beef that is full of flavor and juiciness without spending hours in the kitchen. With minimal preparation and cooking time, the recipe is perfect for those busy days when you need a quick and satisfying meal that delivers all the taste and quality of traditional beef short ribs. So next time you’re craving a hearty meal but don’t have much time to spare, give this recipe a try, and we’re confident you won’t be disappointed!
Thank You for Reading and Happy Cooking!
We hope that this mouth-watering beef short ribs recipe will satisfy your cravings and inspire you to try out more delicious recipes. Don’t forget to thank the beef for being so flavorful and juicy! We hope that you enjoyed reading this article, and we encourage you to come back again soon for more delectable recipes. Share this recipe with your friends and family, and impress them with your culinary skills. We wish you happy cooking and bon appétit!
1. How long does it take to cook beef short ribs?
It typically takes around 3 to 4 hours to cook beef short ribs in a slow cooker or oven. However, cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the ribs.
2. Can I marinate the beef short ribs overnight?
Yes, marinating the beef short ribs overnight can enhance the flavor and tenderness of the meat. You can use your favorite marinade or try out our recipe for a delicious marinade.
3. Can I use a different cut of beef for this recipe?
You can use other cuts of beef, such as chuck roast or brisket, but they may require longer cooking times to become tender.
4. Can I freeze the leftover beef short ribs?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover beef short ribs in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Make sure to label the container with the date and contents for easy identification.
5. Can I use a grill to cook the beef short ribs?
Yes, you can grill the beef short ribs for a smoky and charred flavor. Make sure to brush the ribs with the marinade or barbecue sauce and grill them over medium-high heat for 12 to 15 minutes on each side.
6. Can I use a different sauce for the beef short ribs?
Yes, you can use your favorite sauce for the beef short ribs, such as a teriyaki glaze, chimichurri, or honey mustard. Experiment with different sauces to find your favorite flavor.
7. Can I add vegetables to the beef short ribs?
Yes, you can add vegetables to the beef short ribs, such as potatoes, carrots, or onions, for a complete meal. Make sure to cut the veggies into small pieces and place them in the slow cooker or roasting pan with the beef.
8. Can I make this recipe spicier?
Yes, you can add more cayenne pepper or chili powder to the barbecue sauce or rub to make the beef short ribs spicier. Adjust the amount according to your spice tolerance.
9. How do I know if the beef short ribs are done?
The beef short ribs are done when the meat is fork-tender and falls off the bones. You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, which should be around 200°F.
10. What side dishes pair well with beef short ribs?
Beef short ribs pair well with a variety of side dishes, such as coleslaw, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or cornbread. Choose your favorite sides to make a complete and satisfying meal.